GST Number Search Tool - Meaning, How to use, and more
What is GSTIN?
GSTIN, short for GST Identification Number, is a 15 digit unique identification number allotted to every taxpayer. The GSTIN is issued when the taxpayer gets himself or herself registered under GST. It is necessary to obtain the GST number for every registered person. The 15 digit GST number indicates the following:
- The first 2 digits of the GSTIN represent the state code. Every state has a unique code hence the GSTIN varies from state to state.
- The next 10 digits of the GSTIN are the PAN of the taxpayer
- The 13th number of the GSTIN represents the number of registration in a state for the same PAN number. This is an alphanumeric number.
- The 14th digit is a default “Z” alphabet in every GSTIN.
- The last and the 15the digit of the GSTIN is a check code to detect errors. This can be either an alphabet or a number.
What is the GSTIN Search Tool?
The GSTIN search tool is an online tool provided by the government of India on the main GST portal i.e. www.gst.gov.in. Any person can access this tool easily and without any cost from the GST portal. This tool lets any person find the details of a GST number. However, the search tool provided by the government can only be accessed for searching a valid GSTIN or PAN of the taxpayer.
If you want to search the GSTIN by name of the taxpayer or business entity then you can do so through any online search tool available in the market.
How to Use the GSTIN Search Tool by GSTIN/UIN or PAN?
To access the GSTIN search tool on the gst portal you need to follow the following steps:
Step 1: Visit the official GST portal i.e. www.gst.gov.in
Step 2: Then go onto the “Search Taxpayer” option on the portal
Step 3: There you will see three different options,
- Search by GSTIN/UIN
- Search by PAN
- Search composition Taxpayer
Click on the option you want to use for your search
Step 4: If you have chosen the “Search by GSTIN/UIN” option then enter the valid GSTIN/UIN in the box given on the screen and click on “Search” to get all the desired details.
Step 5: Or if you want to search the GSTIN through PAN then enter the valid PAN and captcha code on the space given on the screen
Step 6: Then click on the “Search” option and it will provide you with the GSTIN you're looking for.
Through this GSTIN search tool you can find the following details:
- The legal name of the business entity
- Date of registration of the business
- GSTIN/UIN status
- Constitution of the business entity
- Type of taxpayer
How to Search GSTIN by name?
To search GST number by name of any individual taxpayer or business entity, you need to follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Find the online GSTIN search tool by name provided by any third party.
Step 2: Once you have found the tool for your GSTIN search, you will have to enter the name of the company or business or an individual taxpayer whose GSTIN you want to search.
Step 3: After that, enter the state code or name to find the registration of the business entity within the state
Step 4: Lastly, click on “Search” to get the GSTIN you're looking for.
What is the Importance of the GSTIN Search Tool?
The major benefits of the GSTIN search tool are as follows:
- It helps in identifying the authenticity of an individual taxpayer or a business entity
- This can help you easily verify the GSTIN of a registered person if the GSTIN is not clearly visible on a handwritten invoice.
- It can detect the fake invoices very easily
- The GSTIN search tool helps in detecting and avoiding any fraud that the business entity or an individual tends to conduct.
- It also helps in checking whether all the details of a business entity or individual have been updated correctly on the portal.
Author : Simran
Date : 04-Jul-2022
Frequently asked questions on GSTIN
To apply for a GSTIN, you need to first take GST registration from the GST portal. Once your registration is successfully processed, you will be issued a 15 digit unique identification number i.e. GSTIN by the GST portal.
Yes. If a business entity has multiple branches in different states for which it has taken separate registration then that business entity can hold multiple GST numbers.
Yes, every business entity or individual taxpayer must mention its GSTIN on all the invoices. The GSTIN also needs to be mentioned on the signboard of the business entity.
Yes. The GSTIN search tool fetches all the data from the GSTN servers and hence all the detail that you receive after the search is reliable, correct and authentic
GSTIN verification tool is similar to the GSTIN search tool. Once you have searched your GSTIN and the details related to that GSTIN through the search tool, you can use the GSTIN verification tool to verify or cross check the authenticity of the data. This verification tool is very reliable and gives accurate results every time